Busy Mom's Starter Guide to Making Peace with Food
Get the 5 day audio course!
It’s Not About the Baby Weight Online Summit from Lindsay Stenovec on Vimeo.
SIGN UP FOR LINDA’S FREE ONLINE SUMMIT TODAY!
IT’S NOT ABOUT THE BABY WEIGHT – RECOVERY MAMA SUMMIT
During pregnancy and postpartum, your relationship with food changes and your body transforms. This shift is challenging for nearly all new moms, but if you have a history of anxiety, depression, or an eating disorder, that adds another layer of complexity to an already difficult process. So, what kind of support do you need if you are in recovery as you transition into motherhood?
Dr. Linda Shanti is a licensed clinical psychologist in private practice in San Francisco. She specializes in recovery from eating disorders, body image challenges, anxiety, postpartum depression, and new mom support. Linda is also a well-known speaker and author of the book The Recovery Mama Guide to Your Eating Disorder Recovery in Pregnancy and Postpartum. With 20 years of experience in the realm of compulsive eating, emotional eating, binge eating, bulimia, and anorexia, she is committed to helping women leverage expressive arts, mindfulness, and compassionate mirroring to support recovery in pregnancy and postpartum.
On this episode of The Embodied & Well Mom Show, Linda joins us to explain the proactive approach she took to get support during her own pregnancy, discussing the way her anxiety presented as irritability, anger, and hypervigilance. She shares her experience with both food and body image during pregnancy and postpartum and describes how she supports women in decoding the myths around ‘getting your body back.’ Listen in to understand Linda’s approach to working with new moms in recovery—and learn to quiet your overdeveloped self-critic in favor of self-compassion!
Linda’s proactive approach to getting support during her own pregnancy
- Brought up history of anxiety, eating disorder at first appointment
- Surprised by irritable depression, rage and hypervigilance
The challenge of supporting a partner with irritable depression
- Looks like pushing away, want to be alone
Linda’s experience with food during pregnancy and postpartum
- Disconcerting ravenous hunger
- Nausea in first trimester (calmed by eating)
Linda’s experience with body image during pregnancy
- Drastic hormonal shifts led to BIG feelings
- Fun to have baby bump in middle of process
- Very rough at end, ‘carting around boulder’
How Linda supports clients around postpartum body image
- Work through grief process
- Decode myths re: diet culture, getting body back
How Linda works with moms in recovery from eating disorders
- Reframe independence as interdependence
- Address overdeveloped self-critic
- Reassess schedule, lower the bar on expectations
Linda’s advice for overachieving first-time moms
- You will come back, have time to self again
Connect with Linda
Recovery Mama on Instagram
Recovery Mam on Facebook
Connect with Lindsay
Intuitive Eating Moms
Embodied & Well Mom Show on Facebook
Lindsay on Instagram
Lindsay on Pinterest
Lindsay on Twitter
Lindsay on LinkedIn
The Recovery Mama Guide to Your Eating Disorder Recovery in Pregnancy and Postpartum by Linda Shanti McCabe
Listen + Subscribe on ITUNES or STITCHER
We’d greatly appreciate a podcast rating and review so that we can reach more mamas and families!
– Search for the podcast in your podcast app (The Nurtured Mama Podcast)
– Scroll down and click 5 stars
– Tap “Write a Review” & enter brief review
– Press send
MEET OUR GUEST:
Parijat Deshpande is the leading high-risk pregnancy expert who educates and guides women on how to manage their stress, anxiety and overall wellness so they can have healthier pregnancies, decrease their risk of preterm birth and give their baby a healthy start to life. Parijat is a clinically trained therapist, a women’s wellness expert and an experienced speaker on the impact of stress on health and wellness. She has over 4 years of experience as a Psychology Lecturer UC Berkeley and is the founder of MySahana, a South Asian mental health nonprofit. Parijat is a member of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine and is also a certified wellness coach, a certified stress management coach and a certified marriage educator.
WHERE TO FIND PARIJAT ONLINE:
- Parijat talks about her transition to motherhood, from all the challenges that she had faced starting from conceiving their baby, to going through ruptured ectopic pregnancy, preterm labor, and the turmoils that she and her family had to go through after giving birth to fight for their baby’s survival.Parijat believed that it had become her mission to help other women who are of her similar journey by giving them the support and encouragement that they need to be able to overcome it.
- She also talks about a research study that relates high-level stress to increasing a certain hormone that affects the placental clock, causing a greater risk for preterm delivery.
- Parijat share tips on how she helps mothers manage their anxiety using the mind-body connection. According to her, that sense of control is really important to helping moms feel less anxious.When you’re able to bring down your anxiety, it’s essential to listen to what your body is telling you. She teaches clients to help them identify the difference between anxiety and when is the right time to seek medical help.
- Parijat also talks about providing postpartum support to mothers who are in high-risk a pregnancy. According to her the postpartum experience of a high-risk pregnancy is quite different than a typical pregnancy because there is so much trauma that the mother goes through without the mother having enough time to process.
PRODUCTS AND SERVICES:
One on One Program:
Hold My Hand Program
Healthy High Risk Pregnancy Course
You can find these on her website: https://www.parijatdeshpande.com/